First Draft TTE

In both novels, “ The Loudest Voice” by Grace Paley and “Eli the Fanatic” by Philip Roth the protagonists both go through conflicts between American culture and their Jewish culture, making them struggle through assimilation. Eli wants to embrace being jewish while Shirley wants to become Americanized. The research question that I am using for this paper is How did post World War II affect American Jews? I want to compare and contrast Eli and Shirley’s immigration experience and their interactions with the people in their community. Through cultural assimilation, Jewish Americans in their community face a cultural disparity between Jewish culture and American culture.

Both Eli and Shirley grapple with the conflict of dual cultural identities. In “ The Loudest Voice” Shirley was encouraged to participate in the Christmas play. “…your teacher, speaks highly of you. Now listen to me, Shirley Abrimowitz, if you want to take the part and be in the play repeat after me.” because the play was about christmas this clashed with her Jewish heritage. That didn;t stop her from participating. It helped her become one step closer to being seen as American. Shirley was chosen by her teachers due to her “particularly loud, clear voice read with lots of expression”. Her voice symbolizes her determination to be seen as American. Just like Eli, he has appreciation for his jewish culture. Since Eli is an orthodox Jew he follows the customs and tradition of his jewish culture. Eli switched to wearing traditional Jewish clothing as a sign to his commitment to his religion.